Visiting San Juan, Puerto Rico this year was completely out of my peripheral until this past month. Invited to go visit Old San Juan and the beach area of Condado with my friend Michelle from Live Like Its the Weekend, I was surprised to hear that Puerto Rico was open for business again. In September, the Category 4 Hurricane Maria devastated the island of Puerto Rico, making it the worst storm to ever hit. Along with most of its resources, from potable water to electricity, tourism was also wiped out. Tourism is Puerto Rico’s second-largest contributor to their economy and local restaurants, vendors, and hotels heavily depend on visitors who sojourn year-round.
通过回收，有个好消息。波多黎各在过去的一个月宣布，他们正式开始营业，与圣胡安是最回收。这是什么意思你？从未有一个更好的时间来访问，支持本地企业，帮助岛上通过旅游恢复美元。引述在a recent NY Times articlethat stood out to me from Carla Campos Vida, the interim executive director of the Puerto Rico Tourism Company, was this:
So with bags packed, I headed back to Puerto Rico where I was just at only seven months ago. Landing in San Juan was surreal — there was a buzz about the airport. It was business as usual as people were checking in, grabbing their coffees, and going about their days. This kicked off an incredible four days in Puerto Rico — a sense of energy and resilience from the local people to recover and move forward. Speaking to a few of the locals, I couldn’t help but ask how they felt about people coming to vacation today. Their response? Tell everyone to come — come to our beaches, eat in our restaurants, and love on our island now more than ever.
波多黎各一直是一个特别的地方。随着发生的酒吧，现场莎莎，深夜在La Placita跳舞，和老圣胡安的通电街道 - 有一个真正的传染性的能量。这很难不谈恋爱，我想这就是为什么他们称之为“拉岛德尔Encanto的。”
Now is the time to visit Puerto Rico — do it with respect and reverence as the island is still in recovery, but love the island today like never before.
What to Know Before Visiting Puerto Rico
- Uber is readily available to use in the area.
- US Dollars is the local currency — cash is good to carry.
- If you have a US passport, you can leave it at home!
- There are plenty of direct flights in San Juan from major US airports.
- Dress code is not always beach-attire. Many restaurants require dress shirts and closed shoes, so be sure to check ahead!
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel：作为一个海滨酒店，它在康达最好的地点之一。有现代化的设施配备豪华客房是为那些希望靠近水边的完美越狱。可以俯瞰大海的无边泳池是一个特别喜欢，因为有没有一个更好的地方，赶上日落。到了晚上，VC休息室转变为那里有现场音乐和鸡尾酒一个私密的空间。
酒店El Convento酒店：In the heart of Old San Juan lies one of the most historic and architecturally-stunning hotels in Puerto Rico. The Hotel El Convento was transformed from a former convent to the luxury hotel it is today, where the inner courtyard sits as the center of the action. The lush greenery drapes over the yellow walls, and of course, their rooftop pool is a must experience for time to cool-off during the summer. Its location serves as the ideal place to call home while exploring the quaint streets of Old San Juan.
Things to Do in San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Explore Old San Juan — this is one of the best experiences in town and it’s free! Put a good pair of walking shoes on, grab a map, and wind through the tiny and colorful streets. There’s plenty of shops, restaurants and more to do.
- 他ad to the beach at Condado, where it’s a perfect place to hang out for the afternoon.
- 获取在La Placita的夜生活，那里有无尽的萨尔萨，雷鬼，并发生酒吧的味道。
- Explore the historic Castillo San Cristóbal.
Restaurants in San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Lote 23:This place is one you can’t miss while in Puerto Rico. A cluster of multiple restaurants have opened food carts in a beautiful, outdoor space. Head here for a quick bite, a draft beer, or try it all!
- 萨尔瓦多Jibarito：If you’re looking for a locals-only spot in Old San Juan, be sure to head here. Their chuleta is incredible and mofongo a hit. I would have eaten here once a day.
- La Factoria:It seems that old roads lead here, whether it’s to eat their incredible tapas-style food, taste their award-winning drinks, or dance through their multiple rooms of music. If you’re staying in Old San Juan, this is the place to be.
- 1919 Restaurant:Located inside the Condado Vanderbilt, this upscale restaurant was one of the best meals I had in Condado. I’d recommend doing the elegant Chef’s tasting and wine pairing — it’s an evening of culinary perfection.
- 塞纳Paleta：Artisanal popsicles with yummy flavors!
- Ola Oceanfront：Yes brunch is a thing in Puerto Rico and Ola Oceanfront is the place to come for Sunday brunch.
- Patio del Nispero：里面的酒店El Convento的，他们的院子变成一个美丽的明亮的用餐区。你可以来饮料和留下来吃饭，那里的厨师使用当地食材的经典现代准备曲折。
- 亚斯餐厅：对于康达波多黎各美食，这里头试试自己的小板，并确保订购filete encebolla'o。
- Pinky’s Calle Loiza:一家餐馆知名的为他们的木瓜奶昔。
- 香格里拉卡斯塔布兰卡：An institution for Puerto Rico and a great local spot.
- Café Comunión:他ad here for a cup of coffee or a quick breakfast.
- Garabato Bar＆Grill餐厅：虽然这里的夜晚经常变换一个聚会,it’s a great spot to start a night out for a drink and small bites.
- Latidos：A cozy restaurant that serves high-end food, all beautifully plated.
I trustWorld Nomadsfor a few reasons. They’ve reimbursed me personally on a few occasions for trip delay and cancellation. Their price point is affordable as well.
Save this post for later on Pinterest:
*Bon Traveler was welcomed as guest of Condado Vanderbilt and Hotel El Convento. As always, all opinions are own.